- Category: External Recruitment
Government of Tonga - Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Position
The Government of Tonga’s strategic vision for the future delivery of public services is aimed at streamlining its organizational platform to better deliver more efficient and effective public services for the people of Tonga. To help achieve this aim, the Government of Tonga seeks to appoint a Chief Executive Officer (CEO) for Commerce, Consumer, Trade, Innovation and Labour.
Applications are welcomed from individuals who possess outstanding strategic thinking capacity, demonstrated leadership capability and superior management skills. Government CEOs are integral in supporting a productive and sustainable Public Service as Tonga continues its path towards constitutional reform. The CEO role is particularly suited to individuals who are commercially focused, skilled in supporting innovation and providing direction to substantial change management initiatives at the policy, systems and process levels.
The role will work closely with their responsible Minister and central agencies, not only as Chief Executive Officer, but also in defining and developing major organizational reforms aimed at optimizing the return on Government’s investment in services and programs. High orders of communication, negotiation and influencing skills are essential, as is a demonstrated track record of effective resource management.
Essential skills required of the advertised CEO role will be to:
- Provide the Minister with high quality policy and program development advice
- Drive strategic planning and resource management accountabilities
- Provide executive direction to professional, technical and operational teams
- Identify improvements in service delivery and efficiencies in cost to government
- Lead implementation of organizational & system changes to improve productivity
- Model cross-Ministry and whole of government collaboration to ensure high standards of communication and customer service
Term of appointment: Contract term of up to four (4) years.
Remuneration: Based on the Government of Tonga, CEO Remuneration package.
Chief Executive Officer for Commerce, Consumer, Trade, Innovation and Labour
Job Reference: CEO CCTIL
The Ministry of Commerce, Consumer, Trade, Innovation and Labour is responsible for the development of strategic policy, planning, and development of programs that support a business enabling environment. The Ministry works closely with other Government agencies and the private sector to ensure key growth initiatives are effectively implemented and further develops a more robust and productive private sector environment through promotion of better collaboration between government and businesses, appropriate incentives and streamlining of rules and regulations.
The Chief Executive Officer (CEO) is responsible to the Minister and the Public Service Commission for implementing government policies and decisions, for managing the administrative; operational; and broader functions and activities of the Ministry, and for developing and leading programs to continually improve the effectiveness and efficiency of service delivery outcomes. To comply with the Accountability and Functions of CEOs as outlined in Sections 13A and 13B of the Public Service Act 2010 (as amended).
Specifically, the purpose of the role is to:
- Develop strategies to create a business environment that is conducive to growth and enhances Tonga’s competitiveness internationally.
- Provide appropriate policy advice to Government on business, employment and consumer issues.
- Ensure that systems are in place to increase consumer awareness of rights and remedies and regulatory frameworks which ensure the protection of consumers.
- Develop strategy and policy and a legislative framework which protect the rights of Tongan workers.
- Monitor and direct analysis of the Labour market to provide a basis for policy advice, and design strategies to improve productivity and maintain an industrial relations environment which is conducive to growth.
- Develop incorporation, registration and protection processes for business.
- Lead and direct the identification and development of strategies for the growth, development and diversification of industries.
- Develop a framework that enhances the viability of industrialisation in Tonga and to facilitate investment through the provision of appropriate information and services.
- Guide change initiatives supporting the achievement of integration and transition processes in the context of organisational restructuring.
- Build strategic management capability to ensure that executive management within the Ministry is innovative, flexible and responsive in discharging responsibilities.
- Create a performance culture which reflects a high level of team work, harmony and collaboration and which builds organisational capability
Experience and Qualification
Tertiary educational qualification relevant to the position and proven operational management experience of at least 7 years in a senior management position in Government or in a comparable organization, with proven senior management experience in the commerce sector.
Essential skills of the Government CEO position in a public sector environment or private sector comparable role.
Proven trade negotiation skills and/or business policy development experience will be advantageous.
How to Apply:
- Applications should be forwarded to the following address by 4:30pm on Tuesday 11 April, 2017
Public Service Commission
P.O. Box 46