- Category: External Recruitment
The Government of Tonga’s strategic vision for the future delivery of public services is aimed at streamlining its organizational platform to better deliver more efficient and effective public services for the people of Tonga. To help achieve this aim, the Government of Tonga seeks to appoint a Chief Executive Officer for the Ministry of Lands and Natural Resources.
Applications are welcomed from individuals who possess outstanding strategic thinking capacity, demonstrated leadership capability and superior management skills. Government CEOs are integral in supporting a productive and sustainable Public Service as Tonga continues its path towards constitutional reform. The CEO role is particularly suited to individuals who are commercially focused, skilled in supporting innovation and providing direction to substantial change management initiatives at the policy, systems and process levels.
The role will work closely with the responsible Minister and central agencies, not only as Chief Executive Officer, but also in defining and developing major organizational reforms aimed at optimizing the return on Government’s investment in services and programs. High orders of communication, negotiation and influencing skills are essential, as is a demonstrated track record of effective resource management.
Essential skills required of the advertised CEO role will be to:
- Provide the Minister with high quality policy and program development advice
- Drive strategic planning and resource management accountabilities
- Provide executive direction to professional, technical and operational teams
- Identify improvements in service delivery and efficiencies in cost to government
- Lead implementation of organizational & system changes to improve productivity
- Model cross-Ministry and whole of government collaboration to ensure high standards of communication and customer service
Term of appointment: Contract term of up to four (4) years.
Remuneration: Based on the Government of Tonga, CEO Remuneration package.
CEO for Lands and Natural Resources
Job Reference: CEO MLNR
The Ministry of Lands and Natural Resources delivers a number of whole of government programs on behalf of all Ministries, including:
- Policy and Planning
- Land Registration and Valuation Services
- Geodesy and Surveying Services
- Drafting and Survey Computing Services
- Information System and Technology Services
- Urban and Town Planning Services
- Natural Resources Services (Deep Sea Mining and Geological Services)
The Chief Executive Officer is responsible to the Minister of Lands and Natural Resources for implementing government policies and decisions, and for managing the administrative, operational and broader functions and activities of the Ministry and;
- To implement and enforce the laws of the Kingdom of Tonga relating to the management and administration of land matters and protection of natural resources;
- To advice, support and contribute to Government on matters of land administration and suitable development of natural resources in accordance with measures that are consistent with objectives of relevant Acts and policies;
- To formulate policies and plans relating to land, natural resources and policies;
- To monitor and respond to impacts on the Kingdom’s land and natural resources;
- To manage and co-ordinate Government’s response to matters affecting land and natural resources;
- To liaise with Government departments and agencies in relation to issues affecting land and natural resources
- To facilitate positive and constructive engagement and efficient service to stakeholders and;
- To promote public awareness and education in relation to lands and natural resources issues.
Experience and Qualification
- Minimum is a Bachelor degree which is relevant to the position and proven operational management experience however a relevant Master’s degree and proven operational management experience is desirable; and at least 7 years’ experience in a senior management position relevant to the disciplines of the Ministry of Lands and Natural Resources
- Essential skills of the Government CEO position along with proven legal skills and background will be advantageous.
How to Apply:-
- Applications should be forwarded to the following address by 4:30pm on Thursday 02 March, 2017.
Public Service Commission
Prime Minister’s Office premises
P.O. Box 46